Public Transport Authority Saudi-Arabia – Development of an organizational structure
Public Transport Authority, Riyadh / Saudi-Arabia
The King of Saudi-Arabia has made the decision by decree to found a national Public Transport Authority (PTA). In its capacity as the national authority the PTA will define the framework for design, construction and operation of all public transport systems in the whole Kingdom of Saudi-Arabia. The PTA will be responsible to develop the standards and guidelines and the monitoring of such. Another task of the PTA will be the organization of intercity bus services.
LRTC together with Dornier Consulting have been appointed to develop the organizational structure for the new authority and to define the processes required to manage the implementation and the operation of all public transport projects in the Kingdom of Saudi-Arabia.
The consideration of the requirements of the concerned stakeholders will be one of the biggest challenges of this project. In the cities of Riyadh, Jeddah, Makkah and Medinah new public transport systems are already on the way. The system designs have not yet considered overall standards and guidelines but have defined their own system requirements. Thus specific parameters of these ongoing projects need to be considered during the development of the new PTA, their organizational structure and the definition of processes. Also, the allocation of responsibilities between the national PTA and the local public transport authorities and the interfaces between them will be another important task.
Rail&Bus Consultants GmbH will be conducting the following tasks:
- Determination of stakeholder requirements
- Development of the PTA structure
- Definition of the responsibilities and tasks of the PTA
- Definition of interfaces to other stakeholders
- Definition of internal and external processes
- Preparation of the required regulatory framework for design, implementation and operation of public transport systems
- Preparation of tender documents for the development of standards, guidelines and recommendations for design, implementation and operation of public transport systems
- Development of a short- and medium-term roadmap to establish the PTA